Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cruithne long before they called us Picti

It's interesting going back and choosing things that resonate as the highest of 'truths' in our journeying. The land of my blood pumps through my body in a way that hold all of its histories as if encapsulated in every single moment. Though I was born 'south of the border' and have lived 'far away' for decades, my home lands hold my heart in a way that no other can. I breathe the air differently there, and sleep as if my soul doesn't journey far at all. 

Aboriginal friends here tell me if you know where your people came out of the Earth, and you hold that mother place sacred, then you know who you really are in your heart and spirit, as well as your body, which genetically will have its own nuances from the histories. A person that knows them self can be  real and authentic and allow others to truly know them too. This poem shares my understanding.


Cruithne (pron. Cree-nya) Long before they called us Picti                                 

If you read books of history they will say
the Romans discovered us when they came our way
But my Granny told me, as I sat at her knee
the stories and days of my ancient family
Long before they called us Picti

We came out of the Earth as the great ice melted
We watched as it carved out the Great Glen and lochs
It pushed up the mountains and flattened the glens
as it made its way to the sea
Long before they called us Picti

My people, my ain folk, Cruithne of the Earth
They told ancient stories as they sat round the hearth
The seers, the healers, the wise women too
If you listen quite closely they’ll tell them to you

We were put here to nurture the sea and the land
Mother Nature/Father God’s helping hand
Gifts we were given to help on our way
And a light to shine for those gone astray

If you read books of history they will say
They’re not sure about our ancient way
They found no weapons till the Romans came
And they think we disappeared in modern day,
But my Granny told me as I sat at her knee
The stories and days of my ancient family
Before, and after, they called us Picti.

We watched the Celts, the Gaels, Angles and Norse
Come settle the lands to the south, west and north
They came peaceably, the earlier ones
We thought they had come to share abundance
The Romans they plundered and we took up with arms
They frowned on our ways, our healing and charms
In the days when they called us Picti

They killed our menfolk, burnt wise women at the stake
And well meaning people thought our children they’d take
To raise them in their ways, to give them a chance
To stamp out our language, our song and our dance
Not knowing our blood carried ancient memory
Long before they called us Picti

We are the Cruithne (Cree-nya) of the land and the sea
They say disappeared into history
But we are the seers, the healers, the wise women too
We are still here, we walk among you
With our gifts we were given to help Mother Earth
Long before they called us Picti

The sailor who hears a storm on the brew
The shepherd who feels the pain of his ewe
The farmer who tends the land lovingly
The women the sick and the birthing come to
We are the Cruithne, they called us Picti

It’s still in our blood, the gifts of the Heaven
To help shine a light on the Earth
When you stop killing us we will put up our hands
Join ancient sisters and brothers across all the lands
Return to the truth of our ancient family
We are the Cruithne, they called us Picti

My ancestors call, our carved stones whisper
Time draws near to shine our light
For ancient folk across all the lands
To stop the rape of Mother Earth
To share the wisdoms we’ve known from birth
My Granny told me, as I sat at her knee
That this would be in their time for me
It was written long before they called us Picti
I have my place in ancient history

© Jenny Cooper Nov 2007


This standing stone on Dinnet Muir resonates the energies of histories and shares its stories of the land. The ancient crumbled ruins around it and archaeological 'treasures' of thousands of years of human histories hold the energies and their songs on the winds. 








No comments:

Post a Comment